Pages

The Film Files: December 2014

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hello Friends!

A couple of weeks ago I got some film scans back from The Find Lab and I am so excited to share!  

I am really proud of what I got back. I wasn't sure what to expect but the results were much better than I anticipated. The one takeaway from this round of film is that it helps tremendously to take detailed  notes of your film settings for each shot taken so that when you get your film scans back you have something to refer to. I found this to be particularly helpful when reviewing images that I was really pleased with.

Here are a few that I really liked. 

This first set are from our recent family trip to Yosemite. Nikon F100, Kodak Portra 400.

Is it okay to gush that I got a "like" on this image from none other than Jonathan Canlas himself on my Instagram feed?! (Insert major squeal of delight here!)
I opened the camera back before rewinding the film (Aaaaaagggghhhhhh!) hence the red flares on this next photo. Lesson learned. 
This next set was taken in late December around sunset. My beautiful Sis (in-law), nephew, and brother were  my willing victims, er, models. ;-)  Nikon F100, Fuji 400h.
This bottom one is my absolute favorite for the luminous skin tones. This photo epitomizes what I love about film that I just can't seem to get in my digital images. 
See the hint of blue in the cloudy sky?  Yeah, in digital the sky would have been totally blown out.  Never mind that I would have had to spend several minutes working on it to fix it. Not an issue with film as it handles light differently than a digital sensor. 



This last installment is of my boys on Christmas Day 2014. I used a light meter and was largely successful in metering properly. Nikon F100, Kodak Portra 400.

If some of these look familiar it's because I previously shared them on Instagram. I couldn't wait to share them!

If you you're still around to read this, well, THANK YOU!  ;-)  

Until next time.  

--Carolina 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have something kind to say, kindly don't say anything at all.